[Assignment: Renovation in Madrona]

Yesterday, I was invited by my friend Cris Rongve from Rongve Group Inc. to shoot the house they are currently renovating in the Madrona neighborhood of Seattle. The catch?

The house is over 100 years old. 

Though my job required my dSLR, I couldn't pass up the oppurtunity to pull out my 360 Land camera to snap some shots.

Madrona House
The Romeo and Juliet overlooking the neighborhood.
I was captivated by the natural light falling onto this chaotic but humble scene. I love all the shadows falling onto the floor and the way the light colors the scene. I like how the messy chaotic things used by the workers for easy access are balanced by the style of the chair, which seems out of place - but somehow fits into the scene.

Assignment: The majority of my job was to document each room - document the types of wires weaving in and out of the ceiling, the types of pipes in the floors which require different radiators, the transitions from the original flooring to repair jobs, and the like.

New: It was definitely a different way of photographing. For each shot, there had to be a reference point within the same frame. There couldn't be a picture of just a pipe, because when looking back on it the director has to know which room it's in. So that was a bit hard for me to step away from simply making a good picture - but making a good picture that also included its context - which I realized I rarely include in my own photographs. Maybe I should try experimenting by including a more purposeful context in my photographs?

Likes: My favorite part of shooting a house during renovation was that obviously all of the rooms were completely empty - free of clutter, and because of that I was drawn solely to the architecture of the rooms. Also, it worked out for me to come and shoot in the morning, so the soft natural lighting hitting on the empty rooms of the house was a photography dream of mine.

That was a really cool experience.

I am shooting the house again once it is finished.. so hopefully I will venture there again come winter!

Morgan